Tunde Ekundayo, United Kingdom based Nigerian, dies through Okada crash on his first visit to see his family

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Good night Tunde Ekundayo

The tragic death a United Kingdom based Nigerian in an auto crash in his home country while on a short visit has shattered his family. Tunde Ekundayo who ventured to the United Kingdom in search of greener pastures after acquiring a Master degree is seen as the ‘hope’ of his family. He died days before a scheduled return to his base. His aged mother’s heart has been broken.

Tunde was younger brother to the Asaba branch Sales Co-Ordinator of Sun Publishing Limited, Mr. Bisi Ekundayo who narrated how the life of his younger brother, Mr.Tunde Ekundayo, was sniffed out of him, a few weeks after he (the late brother) returned from the United Kingdom(UK) where he has been living since late 2006.

Tunde, who died in a motor accident was on board a commercial motor cycle(Okada) from Ipaja in Lagos to Ikotun when he met his death at Idimu. He had visited Nigeria to see his family, and relations. Within the period, he had some time to hang out with some friends at Ipaja, It was on his way back to his residence to join his family, that unable to catch a bus or taxi, he picked a commercial motor cycle(Okada) from Ipaja to Ikotun.But he could not make it to his residence as he was knocked down on the way following a head-on collision with an oncoming vehicle

Narating the incident, his grieving brother, Bisi who took the responsibility of training him from the time he sat for the West African Examinations Council (WAEC), up to his Master’s degree at the University of Ibadan, said, “In every situation you find yourself , try and give thanks to God , Tunde came back to Nigeria on 29th December, 2009 to see his family. He was to go back to the UK on 1st March 2010. Little did he know that he would never go back to the UK again.

Reliving the incident that led to his brother’s death, Bisi who feels the accident that took his brother’s life happened due to the recklessness of the commercial motorcycle rider, continued: “On Saturday, 13th February, 2010, he went to Ipaja to see some of his friends. On his way back, he picked Okada from Iyana-Ipaja to Ikotun when he could not get a taxi on time. After Idimu, at Alake Bus stop, he had an accident with the Okada. He was unconscious till Thursday,18th February when he finally died.

“while on admission at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital(LUTH), Idi-Araba, Tunde “was on life support machine and oxygen throughout before he died.” Having spent much and filled so much grief, Bisi added: “No one is ready to talk about money spent to save his life but God knows the best”.

Tunde, a native of Ikere -Ekiti was the third born out of the five children of his parents. He attended Ajolagun Secondary School, Ikere-Ekiti, University of Ibadan for his first degree in Political Science and later, Master of Science, Public Administration from the same University before he traveled to the United Kingdom in late 2005.

Bisi further recounted that this was the first time his late brother, Tunde, was visiting Nigeria (home) since he traveled outside the shores of the Nigerian nation. But lo, just this time , he came, he died. .

Bisi while grieving over his late brother recounts that his 75-year-old mother was difficult to be consoled. “It took the intervention of God through Venerable Otonaike , the Olori Ebi of Orangun (head of the Orangun family), Ikere-Ekiti and some elders from the place before Tunde’s death could be broken to their 75 year old mother who, on hearing the sad news of a son she had shouted, “my hope” and wanted to end her life by attempting to jump into a nearby well.

Taking solace, Bisi told Daily Sun It is only God that can console this old woman and Tunde’s family . He is survived by a wife, two children, Mike and Joy , an aged mother, brothers

Source: www.sunnewsonline.com

0 Feedback:

Site Meter